Sunday, July 17, 2011

Religion: Flaws

This topic of Religion is meant to help myself put my questions, thoughts, and ideas into actual writing. I write this to express my feelings, and receiving some answers or suggestions would be great. This is NOT about me choosing to leave the Church.

This is not meant to offend anyone.Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________




I like to think of myself as a decently versed Catholic. I know a good amount of history about the Church, I've read a few Bible passages, and I've listened to priests' homilies and sermons. But I come across so many questions that I've never had answers for..or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, which is extremely possible. I know that I must do more research if I'm to tackle these topics properly, but here's some random questions that I have when it comes to the Catholic church.

Something that has bothered me is the fact that the highest level in the Church's hierarchy that a woman can reach is to be a nun or sister.  I've read that the Catholic church can't change this because Christ made the roles for men and women clear when he was on earth, and that no one else has the right to change that. That because he selected all male apostles (12 Disciples), it could be seen that he purposefully didn't choose women. This can be explained by the era He lived in, as women were seen as inferior to men. But this can't be the case, as different Bible verses state that Jesus didn't have a problem breaking the society's rules about women (Matt. 9:20; Luke 7:37; John 4:27). Also, it is stated that even though it seems unfair that women can't be priests, God has given women some things that men can't do, like give birth to children.

But still, these suggestions (I'm not calling them facts), still concern me. So the Catholic church can't change rules that were made thousands of years ago? The Church can't adapt? Elsewhere in the world, like the Middle East, where it is common for women to still be treated as inferior, change is being made. For example, Arab women aren't allowed to drive, yet an ongoing revolution (maybe not the best word, but you know what I mean) from the women themselves shows them acting independently and driving anyway. Many people are supportive of this throughout the world, many who are Catholic. But why encourage change, when your own religion doesn't even support it? I understand that some historical Catholic rituals must be kept sacred, like the Sacraments, but to not let women preach? I don't feel great about that. Especially when I know that even my devout-Catholic mother could provide Church goers with more inspirational and informative sermons and homilies.

Another little thing that I have a problem with is..why can't priests get married? You may think that this is me trying to be humorous here, but I really am not. Women are blessed with the greatest gift of all: being able to give birth to children. It's an amazing miracle of life when it occurs. But why are priests not able to join everyone else in the world and get married and have sex? Priests preach about love, something they definitely experience from the Church's local church goers through hospitality and a sense of community. But for some reason, they can't experience love with a significant other? It doesn't make sense to me.

This problem here is probably a good reason why Catholicism is seeing a lack of new recruits for priesthood. It's a serious concern, especially among young adults whom the Church aims to recruit. I just don't understand this limit for priests. Surely there are some "good, historical reasons" that the Church could give, but again, this is all about adapting to current society, in my point of view at least. And maybe this is a bit of a tangent, but wouldn't letting priests experience real love with a women decrease the frightening amount of child molestation cases that the Catholic Church's priests face? May seem like a wild proposition, but think about it and it makes sense.

All in all, these are just some random thoughts about flaws that I see with the Church. Believe me, I have more. I just want to save those for another post.

Thanks for reading.





------------------

Some topics (but not limited to) that I hope to cover in the upcoming days (in no particular order):

1) Other Religious Alternatives
2) Guilty Conscience About Lack of Faith
3) Catholics Against Homosexuals

------------------

Sources:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0201sbs.asp

7 comments:

  1. Interesting topic and good questions you brought up I never knew or gave much thought that women were not able to become preists. I probably would have to do some research on why wommen cannot become priests.
    With priests not getting married topic, I believe someone told me that priests made a covenant with and only with God. Getting married is creating another covenant and promise with your significant other with God. Becoming a preist has a lot of responsibilities and sacrafices but if it was easy there would be a lot of unworthy priests and we'd be asking for stricter policies.
    My question for religion (and you) is why is it so tough to be a "good christian" I mean tough going to church or praying the rosary every night or pray before meals? Why is it easy to sing and talk about sex drugs and killing but as soon as we say God or Jesus, its all hush hush or even anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having family who adhere to different rules within Christianity really revealed to me many religious flaws, fabrications, contradictions, interpretations, what have you. Not to say anyone is wrong, it's just interesting to see the discrepancies between them.

    Iglesia ni Cristo, for example, does not celebrate Christmas. Nor do they believe in praying to saints. To me it seems that they are - by far - the most literal, direct, and absolute in their following of Jesus Christ and the Bible. My mother's statue of the Virgin Mary actually bothers my Lola because according to the 2nd Commandment, there should be no worshiping of any other images/deities, "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous god ... but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love me and keep my Commandments." (Exodus/Deut?) Their claim being that Saints and the whole canonization process, etc. was created by the Papacy. They also do not believe in calling a priest "father" for there is only one Father: God. Yet, the pastors are allowed to wed and have families. Intriguing, huh?

    I don't see my family in Florida enough to notice all the differences in Born Again Christian. We just tag-along to their services when we visit for that week or two. They're pretty liberal about their style of praise. It takes some getting used to singing upbeat Christian songs and dancing in the aisle. Almost as lively as Baptist churches! Catholics are so conventionally reserved in their routine praise. These pastors, too, wed and have families. Best part, I remember walking out of their service only to overhear two of the Youth Group leader girls cursing their asses off about some "puta", LOL. Oh, man. Reminds me of my Baptist friend and his stories of irony and conflict.

    And I will always believe that it is easier to be evil than it is to be good :p Human nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mono- Thanks for reading, dude. Thanks for giving an explanation as to why priests can't get married. That suggestion actually makes sense. True, that allowing priests to get married may result in some unworthy pastors, but maybe if the church allowed it, they could make the process even more rigorous? To sort out whoever is unworthy?

    Regarding why it's so hard to be a "good Christian," I can only answer for myself. To me, it's tough because I can't fully, blindly, put complete faith into the religion. It's hard for me just accept all of the Bible's word as truth, especially with the knowledge that there are so many other religions with their own beliefs that millions of people believe in completely. How do we know that Catholicism is completely accurate? We can't know, and that is the point of faith. I guess my brain needs facts for me to believe in things.

    Also, I believe that religion is a touchy subject. Our era has morphed itself into a celebrity, rap, and sex obsessed generation. I don't really have a problem with this, it's a common ground that many people share. It's easy for you and a group of friends to talk about subjects like this because opinions won't strike deeply.

    This is the opposite when it comes to things like religion and politics however, when opinions can be totally opposite. Of course, people are sensitive to other people's feelings, which I think prevents people from discussing their religion with another. Same thing with politics. I won't attack a friend for his faith in the Republican party just because I don't want to cause any strife. Does this make sense? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaypee- Long time no talk! Haha, thanks for reading again dude. Thanks for bringing up those points and everything, s'all interesting. I've got family in Florida too that mightttt be Born Again Christian. I could be wrong, but the mass service you described sounds similar to theirs. I know that they don't have stained glass windows and I'm pretty sure that they didn't use any religious symbols.

    And we can agree to disagree: I still think people are inherently good! :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Religion is a touchy subject because it requires people to think. Practically any subject requiring debate can be considered a touchy subject.

    The world is full of so many distractions and conveniences that people don't know how to think. They only know how to follow. Mass media makes it easy for people to gain an impression of what's "cool" right now. Worst part is that this is all kids know now. 14 year old teens tryna "swag out" and appeal to their newly pubescent opposites. The massive impact of social media and the need to conform leaves no room for self-exploration and development. People are slaves to trends and forever bound to the public opinion.


    People are more worried about getting their 15 seconds of fame than making something of themselves. It's human nature to be self-absorbed. There is no want to learn and understand. Nowadays, people are obsessed with living vicariously through reality TV. It's easier than living your own life. Their drama is our drama. Life is just one big popularity contest, anyway haha. They care too much for people and things who don't. really. matter.

    Which brings me to my point. That's why I religion is such a good pacifier. Though I can't completely believe in it, religion teaches people how to live in this world harmoniously. Setting the divinity factors aside, Jesus Christ, Buddha, Muhammad.. they were good people. Role models that people could look up to and gain a sense of hope and enlightenment from. They preach peace, humility, selflessness.

    People are too attached to the material world. Too spoiled to care what happens around them. And yes, I may have been speaking in extremes and absolutes the whole time, but you cannot deny that all this applies to the majority of our population. And yes, thank God there are still good people in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to read your posts Erik. And definitely went through the same struggles when I was younger. I went to Catholic private school up until 7th grade, I was in the school, boys, and adult choir, I was a altar boy for a few years and although I was heavily involved i had my questions, doubts, concerns about the catholic faith and doctrine. I had many of the exact same questions and it was from a lot of research (not only by me), that it was made clear to be about many religions today and that was simply tradition and cultural influence. For any kind religion to be shaped through tradition or culture is very dangerous because that is where people can find themselves  drawing up confusing and contradicting doctrines and beliefs. 

    It's hard to say and not meaning to be condescending but there are too many "religions" who simply have no spiritual/bible support for their beliefs, doctrine, standards, rules etc., which is everything to me. "Religions" get caught up in tradition and culture, that they never really take the time to study and learn it for themselves. It's almost like they'll believe whatever the priest or preacher may say and never truly get it in their hearts. 

    I believe with you that women have every right to preach and minister God's word. In fact I have several friends (ladies) who have a strong calling to preach and I know of several women pastors across the US. Its all about Matthew 28:19 and to say a Jesus believing lady can't be permitted to do just that, is simply going against Jesus' teachings. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaypee: No doubt about everything you said. Religion is good for everyone in the world if it instills good morals. Why not, right?

    I also feel that religion is just a way for people to have an answer for the question of "what is life?" It's human instinct to want an answer..I'm actually gonna right more about this on another post. Haha

    Mike: Yeah man, it's a weird time for me. I was in Catholic school too til 8th grade, now I go to a Catholic university. I need to search for answers more thoroughly, this is just a good way to sort the questions that I have in my head. And you're helping me too, cousin. Lol thanks.

    Thanks to both of you really. :D

    ReplyDelete