Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Epiphany

I was sitting in the back of my 3:30 class, as I did every Tuesday. I was jotting down notes as well as I could..or as well as I thought I could. The professor was lecturing to a class of about 30 college students, all of whom seemed to understand everything she was saying. Everyone except for me that is. This class was pretty important. Maybe even..major. (See what I did there? Oh yeah, I was an accounting major less than 50 days ago.)

This was Intermediate Accounting.

This class was known for being the top of the mountain for accounting classes. Except when you reach the top, you look up and realize God built another mountain on TOP of said mountain. One of my advisors once asked me how I was doing in this class. I said I was doing "okay." And he said, "great! It's all uphill from here!"

Now maybe you understand the importance of this class. Let's go back to that 3:30 class on Tuesday:

I stopped taking my notes. I realized..what the hell am I writing these notes down for? I don't understand any of this. I sat back in my chair. Scanned the room. Looked at the people around me and searched for an answer inside my cloudy brain. I didn't know why I was there. First of all, I hate numbers. I hate math. I hate crunching numbers. I hate math. I hate doing equations and memorizing them. Also, I hate math.

Second of all, I never really put that much effort when I was deciding my major. Both my parents are accountants. Hell, even my sister is an accountant! My whole life, I was surrounded by that environment, imagine that. When it came time to choose my major, the choice seemed easy. My parentals never pressured me, but it just seemed like the path my life was destined for. Ha, looks like destiny belongs in movies and this year's NBA Finals.

Time to fast forward in the interest of time. It took about a month of thinking, questioning myself, listening to others' opinions, and, best of all, getting excited. My plan was to switch my major to English, something I LOVED studying, while pursuing a track in Pre-Law.

Let me tell you now. This is the first time, EVER, in my life that I've been excited about any sort of education. I'm motivated like never before. I say that in complete honesty.

I've given you the start and end of my epiphany and choice to change majors. The real fun is when I reminisce about some heart to hearts I've had with multiple people about this subject. Please check back again.

And thank you for reading.

Erick Julian

5 comments:

  1. good. now go deeper. reach into your soul and crank out something that you never though u could write in a billon years. Sit alone somewhere and let ur mind go wild. write what you made and see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. Keep up this blog babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah cezar, thanks dude. Good advice, I'll use it soon enough. Maybe tonight I'll think of something.

    And thanks to you too bebeee. :) I plan on using it all summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. how interesting... i'm an english major and pre-law.

    baha. <33 take care bud

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol yeah? that's pretty cool. telling you, we need to hang out sometime.

    and you too, take care <3

    ReplyDelete